Keyboard - November 2013 - Hall of Fame
In the November 2013 issue of Keyboard magazine we celebrate the people and technology that changed how we make music, with our Hall of Fame issue.
30 Years of MIDI - Roland founder Ikutaro Kakehashi and synth designer Dave Smith on coming up with the technology that forms the basis of every modern musical instrument - and getting a whole industry to adopt it.
Mellotron - A brief history of the instrument that can rightly be called the original sampler, and its forbears, the Chamberlin.
Don Airey, master of heavy metal and hard rock keyboards; Roger Linn, the father of the modern drum machine; Analog synth designer Tom Oberheim on his early inspirations and new instruments; 125 years of groundbreaking Yamaha instruments; 50 years of milestone synths and gear from Korg; Top musicians remember the late, great keyboardist George Duke; 5 ways to play like Marian McPartland; 5 ways to play like Cedar Walton; and much more!
- Everything you need to know to pick the music notation software that's right for your musical needs.
- Korg MS-20 Mini analog synth.
- Studiologic Sledge synthesizer.
- Apogee Symphony I/O audio interface.
- AIR Music Technology Loom soft synth.
- Propllerhead Thor app for iPad.